At the Golden Serpent (Brandenburg House) - Karlova Street 18/181, Old Town
Karlova Street 18/181, Old Town
A late Gothic house, rebuilt in Renaissance style, with Baroque and Classicist adaptations. The house sign (golden serpent) is from the beginning of the 19th century. In 1970’s the house was restored. Allegedly a former owner of this house, an Arabian or Armenian tradesman Deodatus Dajamanus was the first person in Prague to sell coffee in Prague, a very exotic drink back then; he used to stand in front of his house in an Oriental outfit, with a hot coal container and a kettle on the top of his head, with small cups and sugar in his hands, selling this drink to people walking by. He was so successful that in 1914 he opened probably the first coffee house in Prague, in the House at the Three Ostriches in the Lesser Town.